My journey to a foreign land Rotating Header Image

Weekday tappings

Wednesday

For the next six weeks, I am taking history and culture classes.  My classes are in the afternoon and I am the only student.  The first day was great in the first two hours, but the last two were difficult. Grammar lessons are now a thing of the past.  With their passing, my reading skills in Spanish also passed away.  The lectures I now read are academic Spanish, which means the longest words I have ever seen.  Each one taking forty five seconds to a minute to read.  I can feel my teacher’s frustration and I can definitely feel mine.  Patience with my reading he told me, but he reads every other paragraph now.  That does help – hearing the large words, but I feel like I have regressed with my Spanish.  Last week I was very proud of myself.  In most situations I can explain everything I want to say, also mostly understand what someone says to me.  I was explaining stories with some speed, the words just coming to me, the conjugations being natural (no longer writing them on a chalkboard in my head).  Now I afraid that has left, but my teacher keeps explaining that this will really help my Spanish.  I know he is right, but I had more fun when it was easier!  Today we are going the Inca Museum in Cusco and I am excited about that.

Today I booked the trip to the Amazon for my brother and I.  After the jungle, we will go the desert!  To be very honest I did not expect myself to be so excited to see my brother, but I cannot wait to see him and to share this experience with him!

Thursday

Four hours is a longgg class.  It is very difficult to get through the whole time.  Another difficult aspect is the questions about the USA.  Every teacher I have had, except one, asks questions that, if answered, would force me generalize to the WHOLE country.  I always explain that it is not possible to answer with one answer and they usually respond with something like, “What do you know? Anything?”  Examples:  What do Americans eat for lunch?  What car company embodies America? That one was my favorite from yesterday.  I just gave my teacher what he wanted and I told him Chevrolet.

1 Comment on “Weekday tappings”

1. #1 Mama Gilliam
    on Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:00 pm

You are honest…I truly hope you and your brother really enjoy yourselves.